What does it take to be a Camp Counselor?
Ability to have enormous amounts of FUN!
Calling all Rockstars!
Come join us for a fantastic Summer at Fairmont! You will build leadership and cooperation skills as you lead a group of campers in day to day camp activities and attend Friday Field Trips. We accept only the best of the best- you must be a caring and positive leader, have amazing customer service skills, work well with others, have a creative and open mind and be flexible with change.
If you have a superpower, we want to know about it! We are always looking for lifeguards, art, science and sports specialty counselors to join us during the summer.
For full job details, see Summer Camp Counselor Job Description.
The Fine Print:
- Camp Counselors responsibilities begin from June 2, 2017 through August 4, 2017.
- Mandatory staff training dates are June 2, 3, & 9. All staff (new and returning) must be available for these dates.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification is preferred.
Over the course of 3 summers with Fairmont Summer Camps, I’ve had some of the most unforgettable moments I could ever have hoped to live. I’ve taught students how to write Haiku poems, painted with them, made crafts, and purposefully lost at various games. I’ve been a LARPer in activities like live action board games and, oh yes, Quidditch!!! I’ve worked with some amazing people that I am so lucky to call friends. I’ve worked for even more incredible directors who really lead with a heart of serving our students’ needs first! But, the most important bosses have been the students and the parents! They were truly the most incredible people to work for in my time as a Camp Counselor. Partnering with parents in bringing joy to their student’s lives and introducing them to new things like GAGA ball is beyond an honor.
And here is the part that will never leave my memory, no matter how far along in life I get. The opportunity to experience the fact that joy is a universal concept. Being a part of mentoring and developing international students with language barriers was nothing short of a challenge. However, it was a feat easily overcome by just one simple fact: FUN!!! Having fun is something Fairmont does well, and man it has such a power to unite beyond the barriers of Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, and English. Watching students have their first moments with their toes in the wet beach sand, and digging sand castles that rival the Sistine Chapel, leaves you in awe of the fact that you get to be a part of it, and moreover you’re actually paid to be a part of it! Fairmont Summer Programs is an experience like no other, for the students, for the parent, and for the staff alike!Christian
Frequently Asked Questions
How old do I have to be to work as a Counselor?
What are the job requirements?
- At least 18 years of age
- High school diploma required, one or more years of college preferred
- Experience as a camper, or working with children as a leader or assistant leader
- A basic understanding of children and the ability to develop an up-beat and positive relationship with them
- A current CPR and First Aid Card
- Be able to provide sound, caring and positive leadership for children
- Provide extraordinary customer service to parents, campers, and vendors
- Be able to recognize and implement safety standards in all program activities
- Be able to participate effectively with other staff in planning and implementing creative and fun camp activities
- Communicate positively with parents and Fairmont employees when needed
- Attend all required training and team meetings
What are the terms and salary?
- Hours and schedules are contingent upon enrollment from week to week.
- Summer Camp Counselor responsibilities begin June 5, 2017 and continue through August 4, 2017
- Returning & new Camp Counselor’s must attend a MANDATORY staff training on these three dates:
- Friday, June 2nd
- Saturday, June 3rd
- Friday Evening, June 9th
- Mandatory Staff Meetings will be held throughout the summer
- Starting Summer Camp Counselor salary is $11.00/hour
Do I get time off?
• July 4th – paid holiday.
• “On the job” hours may vary depending on position or shift, but staff should be available 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.
• Employee agrees to a paid on-duty meal period on specified field trip days. The employee understands that either the employee or Fairmont Schools may revoke this agreement at any time by providing written notice of the decision to do so.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Counselor?
1. Responsible for a total of 8-10 campers at a time. Grades ranging from Kindergarten-8th grade (5-13 years old).
2. Assumes responsibility for leadership and guidance to those campers in daily activities,
with special attention to:
a. Safety & manners
b. Camper personal interactions with respect of others
c. Camper participation in all camp activities
d. Camper personal growth, self-confidence and independence
3. Participates in the planning and participation of camp activities including games, sing-a-longs, skits, and other related activities
4. Takes responsibility for living by the camp rules while enforcing the rules, policies, and traditions of the camp experience
5. Maintains a positive attitude while serving as a good role model to campers in personal language, appearance, and manners
6. Puts campers needs before their own, making each camper feel like the most important child in the world
7. Assumes responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of the campers entrusted